Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Testimony

I had a great childhood growing up. I went to church every Sunday with my family and was a good kid. I knew about God, Jesus and heaven and figured since I was a good kid and went to church every Sunday I would be going to heaven. Once I hit highschool I stopped going to church so much. I did not have any sort of spiritual life through highschool. A couple months after graduating highschool is when I started dating who is now my husband (Tim). Shortly after we started dating he began talking more and more to me about being a Christian. He talked about praying, having conversations with God, being saved, witnessing, all of which I had no clue what he was talking about, but pretended I did. He would take me to church with him occasionally and every time I went I would feel a strong urge to go up to the preacher during the invitational but I had no idea what I wanted to say or why I was feeling that way. I began to ask Tim questions about his life as a Christian and compare it to mine. I wondered how anyone could have a personal relationship with God, someone who I had learned about as a child but never imagined having a relationship with. The more Tim and I went to church the more I felt I wanted to learn. I wanted to know what it was like to be saved. I had no idea how it would happen or what it would feel like. I did not know what I had to do or say.

One Christmas I received a book called The Purpose Driven Life as a gift. Tim and I made a commitment to read it every night before bed together and that is what we did. The book was wonderful. It helped me understand more about my life and more about knowing God. Tim and I got to a chapter where it talks about accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior. As we finished the reading I felt an urge (also known as the Holy Spirit) to get down on my knees beside the bed and accept Christ into my heart. I told Tim, so he got down beside me, also on his knees, and asked me to repeat after him. I will never remember what he said but it was the sweetest thing I had ever heard. Finally! I knew what it was like to be saved. There was a hole in my heart and it was filled that night with the only thing that could fill it, and it was Jesus Christ.

From that moment on I had a completely different outlook on life. I had, and still have, a hunger to know God better and to grow as a Christian. God has blessed me beyond what I deserve with my husband and daughter. I live today to tell other people of His glory and power and how He can change lives.

No comments: