Sunday, June 1, 2008

We may have baby turtles soon

So this morning Bella showed us that there was this HUGE turtle by one of our trees. Of course, I had to take a few pictures. When the turtle left, we went to her spot and there was a hole. I am no expert, but when a turtle digs a hole....I think she lays eggs in it. We are going to research how long it takes turtle eggs to hatch and we are going to keep watch. How lucky would we be if we see baby turtles making their way for our creek. So cool!

This is the hole she left...I think there are eggs in there :) It said online that it can take all summer for them to hatch and some stay in their eggs over the winter and come out next summer.

**After a little research Tim and I discovered it was an Eastern Snapper turtle. Their demeanor is usually aggressive but she was really sweet. The record length we saw on the internet is 19 inches. She was very close to that.

No comments: