Thursday, January 24, 2013

21 months : Molly update

Molly turned 21 months a couple days ago.  My last update on her was her 18 month update and it seems so much has changed since then--just 3 months have gone by.  I guess 3 months in "toddler time" is a lot.



saying:  Molly is saying a lot!  She is not making many sentences beyond 2-3 word combos--and those don't come very often.  She can pretty much repeat anything.  She loves to say "Hi" to everyone in the room, i.e. "Hi Mommy, Hi Daddy, Hi Sis, Hi Duke, Hi Bella....".  It's like a little performance.  Two words that she says a lot are "mimink" for any type of blanket or snuggly sweatshirt and "mana" for arm.  Speaking of arm--she has a THING with arms.  It is the funniest, strangest, cutest thing.  She loves to rub, hug, snuggle, scratch, pat my arm.  I think it's a comfort thing.  She started out pinching my skin when she was nursing and that has evolved to this.  She does have an arm preference, too.  She prefers mine over others, if mine's not available she will rub her own.  I've even caught her rubbing Emma's while they sit next to each other on the couch.  She doesn't like Tim's too much but will rub his if that's the only one available.  I think she doesn't like the hair.  Another cute, funny thing she does is she says "mm-hm" (like uh-huh but with more of an 'm' sound) almost every other word.  Tim and I didn't really notice it until the other day...and now that we are listening for it, it is really every other word--or every couple of words.  It's so funny.  For example:  "Mommy mana, mm-hm!", "Sis, mm-hm, doll dress!, mm-hm!"....you get the picture.  I will try to get a video of it.  She still likes to say "no" a lot.  We're working on that one. 
doing:  She's finally walking!  yay!  She LOVES to play with babies.  She will cradle a baby doll, shush it, pat its back and rock it to sleep.  She will sing Rock a Bye Baby to it.  She is such a mama.  Of course I got her the cutest baby doll for Christmas and she sticks with the Target dolls.  Oh well.  She can do simple shape puzzles and do her shape sorter with little assistance.  Molly really enjoys looking at books and pretending to read them.  Emma never did this (the pretending to read part).  I think Molly sees Emma now, practicing reading, so Molly is copying her.  She loves to draw and doodle. 
not doing:  I created this section when she wasn't crawling or walking....I can't think of anything fine motor or gross motor that she isn't doing that her peers are doing.  Maybe not talking as well...but I'm not even worried about that. 
eating/drinking:  Right now she loves turkey, frozen go-gurt, frozen blueberries, cheese, spaghetti noodles, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, grapes and oatmeal.  She is still open to trying pretty much anything.  She isn't a picky eater, but definitely has her preference.  She has maybe one cup of milk a day and the rest of the time she has water--and sometimes Starbucks.  



wearing:  She's in size 5 diapers (store brand), size 4 in Pampers Cruisers.  Mostly 24m/2T clothes but can still squeeze in some 18-24m stuff.  She is between a 4 and a 5 shoes size right now. 
sleeping:  Molly sleeps about 11 hours at night and on a good day will nap 2 hours.  I took down her crib and she is on a toddler mattress on the floor.  That has actually worked very well for us.  She has gone a few nights staying in her bed all night long, but most nights she starts out in her bed and eventually ends up in bed with me.  It's funny...if this were Emma I would be stressing about her sleeping habits.  I was very strict with Emma and her sleeping when she was a toddler.  She NEVER came in our bed.  It's funny how things change second time around.  Molly still wakes 2-3 times a night.  I'm okay with that.  Her naps are good.  She usually will fall asleep around noon or so and sleep for 2 hours tops. 
teeth:  Boy is this girl teething!  She's got 8 on top and 6 on the bottom.  She is working on her pointy eye teeth on the bottom right now.  She has been working on them FOR-EVER....they seem to be giving her big troubles.  I'm just waiting for the 2 year molars to start giving us problems.  Molly LOVES to brush her teeth.  She really enjoys pretending to spit. 
potty training:  I decided to add this section.  We're nowhere near potty training, but Molly knows how the potty works and that everyone else in the house makes "wee wee's" and "boo boo's" in the potty.  I'm in no rush at all to potty train her. 
hair: (another new section)  Molly's hair is the complete opposite of Emma's.  Stick straight!  I love it :)  She has one cowlick smack dab in the center of her head and her hair grows straight out from the center of it.  It pretty much gave me no choice but to give her bangs...and boy...is she cute with bangs!  I also trimmed the back of her hair to give the sides an opportunity to catch up with the back.  She was rocking a full on mullet.  And you know what I forgot to do...save some of her hair!  I can't believe I forgot to save some of it :(  Maybe next trim I will save a little and nobody will know. 

This girl...she keeps me on my toes!  She is funny, sassy, sometimes loud, silly, sweet, still likes to fuss about nothing, is starting to warm up to the car seat and is so affectionate.  One of my favorite times of the day is after bath time before bed when she and Emma play.  When they are both in the mood (which is key), they play so well together.  Emma is so responsive to Molly.  They chase each other, play peek-a-boo, do a girl version of wrestling, snuggle on the couch, pretend play with dolls, play in their room together...it's all so sweet.  I've really enjoyed seeing how Molly has fit in to our family.  She's a prefect fit just for us :)  ...although Tim would argue that she is the spawn of Satan...but that's another blog for another day (I promise, he loves the heck out of her too).


No comments: