Saturday, February 15, 2014

Henry's Birth Story

I downloaded Blogger on my phone just to get this birth story on "paper" while the details are fresh in my head.  

This story starts on Monday, February 10th.  I had been having cramping during the morning but it was nothing painful--just uncomfortable.  Around two in the afternoon I decided to call the nurse and fill her in on what I had been experiencing.  With my history of fast labors she thought it would be best for me to go to the hospital and get checked out.  I felt sort of silly going because I did not appear to be in labor.  No pain, no heavy breathing...nothing.  Once there it was discovered I was dilated to 3cm.  They told me to walk around the birthing hall for an hour and come back to get rechecked.  I did that and no change so they sent me home.  I got home around 6:00 PM.  I was still cramping but it wasn't any worse.  We had a normal evening and I figured we would be seeing Henry soon but not that night.  Around midnight the cramping got a little more frequent and intense.  After texting my mom and sister, they convinced me to go back in.  I woke Tim and told him.  He was in charge of calling his mom and getting her to our house to stay with the girls.  For the second time (while in labor-first with Molly) I drove myself to the hospital.  Back in triage and the cramping is ramping up a little.  Enough for me to need to focus on my breathing through them.  My mom got there before Tim and she and I chatted while listening to pandora.  When I first got there I was 4/5cm.   They gave me a birthing ball to sit on and decided to recheck me in a bit.  

*side note: I've lost all concept of time around now.  I just know the specifics of the nitty gritty of the delivery.  That's coming up.

When they rechecked me I was at 5cm.  They decided to admit me due to fast labors and a winter storm on the way.  We made our way to the labor and delivery room.  At this point Tim was here too.  I hopped back on my ball while nurses did a few things.   The doctor came in and asked if I wanted them to break my water.  This was new to me as my water broke on it's own with both girls.  I was all for this as I know once my water breaks things move pretty fast....little did I know....

I was still at 5cm when she broke my water which happened at 2:26am.  

Oh my dear.  The pain following the water breaking was unbearable.  It's pain I had never experienced before--even going all natural with Molly.  I was begging for meds.  Thankfully my nurse could tell what was going on and put me off.  

2:36am they check me and I'm complete.  I dilated those last 5cm in 10 minutes!  I continue to beg for meds, tell everyone how much it hurts, tell my mom to "shut up" (I don't even remember this), and basically act like some possessed crazy lady.   

They tell me to start pushing.  After 4 hard/long pushes, Henry was born at 2:47am!!

So from deciding to leave my house at midnight to when Henry was born it was 2 hours 47 minutes.  From when my water broke to delivery was 21 minutes.  

February 11, 2014
Henry Arthur
8lbs 6oz

I can't explain the emotions behind this labor and delivery.  The 21 minutes up to his arrival were the hardest 21 minutes of pain I've ever experienced.  When he came out the emotions were overwhelming.  

We are adjusting to being a family of five. It has only been 4 days (3 of which were winter storm days) so it will be a while before we find our groove.  

I'm just thankful he is here and healthy and LOVED by so many...especially his sisters.  

*I apologize for any typos.  It was hard doing this all on my phone. 


Sarah Schroeder said...

Wow! I thought we had talked about this at Erica's shower.. and you were going to try NOT to drive to the hospital in labor! You are nuts!! So glad you made it there safely. I CANNOT imagine the pain of going from 5 to 10 in 10 minutes. Wow. Without an epidural. You are wonder woman. He's a little precious cutie pie! Perhaps we can play one day an meet him...

MegQTownsend said...

I am so impressed at your baby having skills, plus the fact that you have his birth story written before he's even one week old. You are a super woman! So happy for you.