Saturday, November 12, 2011

Emma's 4th Birthday

This past Saturday, November 12th, was Emma's 4th birthday. I can't believe my baby is 4...how is it that I'm old enough to have a 4 year old?!?! How is it that I can remember every detail of her birth DAY 4 years ago? A baby growing up to a mama is good...and bad. Good because of the smart, funny, beautiful, talented, sassy little girl that she is growing up to be...but bad because that squishy, small, cuddly, innocent baby is slipping away. It's HARD, people!

For now...I will dwell on the good...

So I'm pretty sure this is the first birthday of Emma's (besides the actual birth day) that I wasn't working...so I got to spend the whole day with her! She woke up to find a present, card, doll, mini doughnut with sprinkles and a Starbucks hot chocolate waiting for her. That alone made her day.



We got her this for her birthday and she LOVES it! I highly recommend it if your having trouble figuring out what to get your toddler/little kid for Christmas!



...and want to make a kid feel special on their day? Just get them a button similar to this one and WOW...all you spent was a dollar and some change and your kid feels so special!Lovin' the doughnut and hot chocolate delivered by daddy.
After an exciting morning we relaxed a bit...until the mail came. Emma received a card and a Toys R Us gift certificate from Tim's Aunt and Uncle. Once she understood that that little card=toy...she was ready to load up in the car and go shopping! This was maybe my third time ever setting foot in a Toys R Us...and I was reminded why when we got there. You would think it was the eve of Christmas or something! But...Emma happily went from aisle to aisle until she spotted these...and she HAD to have them! ...throw in some protective gear and we were good to go! The rest of the evening was spent with Mexican take-out and lots of roller skating in the house (and me getting the house ready and preparing food for the Birthday celebration we had planned for Sunday).

Her party was small and at our house. We invited immediate family--8 adults and 5 kids. It was the perfect amount of people to cook for and not get overwhelmed. Usually, I take the have-somebody-else-make-the-food route (Chick-fil-a catered Emma's first birthday party), but, thanks to Pinterest, I was armed with a few activities for the kids, awesome food ideas and even party favors! I have to admit...I was proud of myself for pulling it off...and it is such an awesome feeling when somebody compliments you on the food--when you made it yourself!

The spread:

These guys deserve a close-up:
The menu included:
Mississippi Sin Dip (not a bite was left)
Bacon wrapped pineapple bites (um...YUMMMMM)
Snicker Salad
Olive Penguins
Antipasto kabobs: pepperoni, salami, marinated mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, black olives and green olives
Caramel dipped green apples
Fruit kabobs: bananas, pineapple and grapes
Sliced cucumbers topped with herb cream cheese (easy!)
Ham Sandwiches (not a bite was left):
1. Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
2. Sweet Slice Ham, very thinly sliced
3. Ken's Light Sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing
Sliced the whole pan of rolls in half, put dressing on the top and bottom half, stack the ham on individual rolls, and place the top back on. Wrap your rolls tightly in aluminum foil. From here you can either freeze your rolls for later or stick them in the oven at 350 until they are warmed through. Yum yum!

And finally...cupcakes


Emma looks thrilled, doesn't she? I have noticed when a group sings "happy birthday" to her she gets this worried look on her face...silly!

The food was WONDERFUL. I'm telling you...go out and get yourself some bacon and pineapple and make those bacon pineapple bites. They are UH-MAY-ZING!

I had several ideas for some activities for the kids--but only followed through with one of them. Fall trees painted with q-tips. Painting is always an activity that is loved my kids. Emma and Christian had fun!

After the painting and cupcakes I decided I had tortured Emma long enough and told her she could open her presents. She got some great stuff from everyone! She even got something from her Aunt B who lives all the way in Japan!


I am giving myself a pat on the back for Emma's birthday this year. This was actually the first time since her 1st birthday that we did a "formal" party. For my shy girl--I think the day was perfect. We had just the right amount of familiar faces at our home where she could be herself and relax, all while enjoying her special day. I would not have had it any other way.

Happy Birthday, my Emma Grace...
You are the special girl who made me a mama on November 12, 2007
I'm so glad God chose me to be yours
You are beautiful, inside and out with a heart that loves those who are special to you
I love you more than you will ever know!



....aaannndddd....if you feel like reading any more...haha
linky-links
link to First Birthday blog (including birth story)
link here and here for my lack of an official Third Birthday blog...I'm lame! (can I claim pregnancy brain--was pregnant with Molly)

No comments: